Thread: OK, I will ask: lifter tick, and that XADO.us ceramic nano-fix revitalizant nonsense

OK, I will ask: lifter tick, and that XADO.us ceramic nano-fix revitalizant nonsense

So, I've "read" good mostly, and skeptical good, and a little bit of bad with that XADO.US stuff that you see online and in every car magazine. Was wondering anyone has tried it in an aging 3000Gt to possibly lessen lifter tick (rather than 99 lifter swap), or just in GENERAL to get better mileage and/or shore-up a high-miles 3KGT/Stealth engine without a rebuild.... just to keep it limping along a bit better. My lifter tick subsides after about 30-40 seconds at start up. Not a big deal. Most have used seafoam in the past, with varying success as well. My VSS's are OK so far. And, I certainly don't want to do any damage.

If 2xmks (Mike) or RealMcCoy (Larry) have any opinion, I certainly would like to hear that as well.

Some "fairly cognizant" reviewers on Amazon gave it some good marks on other platforms... The fact that "revitalizant" should be "revitalizer" also gives one food for thought...

Snake oil? Market hype? Works for a while, then falls flat? Does more harm than good? Masks issues only with no real benefit? Bluemax_1 on 3si came to his SUMMARY (at very bottom here, post #602 from a long thread) in 2006 with the fact that it does no harm, and seems to do "some" good due to the presence of MO in the mix... which is also in some oils like Redline (which I use).
    Don't know if any Norcal3s'ers have tried it though.

It's been around for while:

http://www.3si.org/forum/f56/lifter-tick-fix-214253/ (2004 - 2010)

Post #626: 6/2010:

Well after reading through this whole threat there is certainly some mixed reviews
    I done my own online research on it before i bought it and it was available in the uk so i thought i would try it not sure weather it would work.
    I looked for someone that sold it in the uk and it was only 10 miles away seemed quite cheap so i ordered it thursday and it turned up today.
    I really wish i had my video camera because i was so surprised only took like 5 mins and everything was quiet for something that comes in a tiny 9ml tube to do so much is unbelievable.
    My engine has never been this quite even after a oil change.
    Everyone has there own views but for the price i would highly recommended it.
    I will post back again if my lifter tick comes back.
    I am well happy with the results

#629 is cautious about it....

2005 "official 3si tester":

http://www.3si.org/forum/f56/lifter-...3/index41.html

Posts #401: (BlueMax_1) #409 (2.4_Turbo_hyped) #422 (93slth) #425 (cbatters)

#425: In the lifter tick success story cited for XADO, however, the engine RPM was increased to 4000+ RPM for several minutes which is the procedure outlined in the service manual to purge trapped air from the lifter.

Documented wear / repair on main bearing and spin down times on turbos would help add credibility to the low friction claims of XADO

#432:

The problems with the first-hand accounts to date are that a) most results turned out to be *temporary* re: lifter-tick (what the first few people used the stuff for), and b) none have been in any way under a proper set of controls/observations. For some people, the lifter tick goes away to date, but they are among the *minority*. This falls within expectations, since the lifters don't tick due to friction! There is nothing in the product specs that can in any way have any effect on lifter noise.

However, as has been said many times, air tends to get trapped in the lash adjusters when they are *dirty*. It is entirely plausible that whatever binder/solution agent (some form of detergent/solvent) that XADO is packed with helps dissolve those deposits, restoring proper function to the lash adjusters - BUT NOT AFFECTING THEM IN ANY WAY BEYOND A SIMPLE CLEANING.

#461 (Bluemax_1): "No detrimental effects... still testing"

All of Bluemax_1 posts: (2006 after XADO use for a while)

http://www.3si.org/forum/search.php?searchid=6182486

SUMMARY by Bluemax1:

http://www.3si.org/forum/f56/lifter-...ml#post3973841

#583 - (BlueMax_1) ---- XADO does no harm, but doesn't fill cracks/scores/imperfections as it claims with ceramic nano-particles that increase hardness. (Cudaman summary of very long post).

#602: (Bluemax_1 QUOTE "From the time I performed the Xado review, I've since thought about their claims a little more and considered some other things and now consider that it is possible that Xado might actually possibly do some of what it claims (NOT reduce/eliminate lifter tick).

If anyone has a sample of Xado, perhaps they could send it to an elemental analysis lab (might even be possible to send it to a place like Blackstone labs) to see if a major constituent of Xado is Mo.

Here are a couple of my thoughts on why Xado migh work if the stuff in it is Mo
    http://www.3si.org/forum/showpost.ph...5&postcount=77
    http://www.3si.org/forum/showpost.ph...9&postcount=17

If the major active ingredient in Xado IS in fact Mo as I'm postulating, this stuff could potentially raise crappy compression due to worn rings/cylinders, but Mo wouldn't affect lifter tick and if the ingredient is a hefty dose of Mo, it might potentially prevent a spun bearing due to a short instance of oil starvation but it wold only be able to do so if the Xado was in the engine at the time. Once it's flushed during an oil change, you would lose that protection.

As the post in the 2nd link describes though, you could potentially receive the same benefit from using Redline or Motul 300V oils which already contain high levels of Mo (unlike Mobil 1 and Amsoil which have none or RP which has 1/5 the amount Redline has). No idea if a super large/concentrated dose of Mo might work faster/better though. So far I still have zero ill-effects from using Xado and I haven't looked at my cam lobes or cylinder walls. Sometime in the future, when I get DR Stage 3 heads, I'll take a look at my old cams and the cylinder walls and let you guys know if I see anything interesting."
    Last edited by cudaman; 08-30-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Original Banana Hammock chargerx3's Avatar

Re: OK, I will ask: lifter tick, and that XADO.us ceramic nano-fix revitalizant nons

Never used the stuff and it sounds more like an expensive band aid that needs to be continually used to see positive effects. If you want to clean out your block and get rid of lifter tick I have always had great results in usually one to 2 applications (on multiple 3s's) of...

Costs less than $5 at wally world. Works great.

Ye Olde Geezer

Re: OK, I will ask: lifter tick, and that XADO.us ceramic nano-fix revitalizant nons

You can't use the Motor Flush on a turbo car though.
    Since you quoted me in your thread, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Yes, I've been a regular user of Xado for some time now. I'm not sure exactly when I first used it, but I'm guessing it was around 150,000 miles. My ticking was bad, I mean embarrassingly bad. I added the first treatment with the engine running and the ticking going on pretty good. Within, I'll say 15 seconds of adding the first tube, the ticking stopped. My car now has over 218,000 miles on it and it runs strong. I've re-treated with Xado probably 4 times since the first treatment, mainly because I figured my high mileage engine could use any help it can get. In fact, I treated it just before driving it to Indy and back last year. Remember, I ran the car on the road course, in the autocross and in the drags, then drove it back to San Diego. Not a second of problems with the engine, no smoking, no overheating, it ran like a top. I'm so convinced that this stuff works, I've also added it to my Infiniti, which has done 3 cross country trips this year alone.
    I don't know the science behind it and I don't care. I just feel like it works and my cars seem to agree. Also, the price has come down considerably from when it first came out. It used to be $99 for a 3 tube treatment, the last time I ordered it, it was like $18 for 3.

WCNC EVENT COORDINATOR

Thanks. I might just give this stuff a try to see if it does make any sort of improvement. I am right around 145K, so it's probably due. Will report on what sort of results I get. Any other users, do also report on conditions prior and after the XADO usage.

The bottle says you cant, but there was a time that bottle didnt say that and i used it. I still use it with no side effects. It really cleans out your block.

Ye Olde Geezer

Oh, I know, I use it at every oil change. I just don't recommend it to guys with TT's because of what the bottle says.

WCNC EVENT COORDINATOR

Wow that is quite a bit at every oil change. How are your VSS and other seals holding up?

Ye Olde Geezer

I still have the original VSS. I occasionally get some smoking, but it doesn't last long. No oil leaks either. Passed my last (ever) smog test last year, so it's still running clean.

WCNC EVENT COORDINATOR